If you followed along with me a little while back, you know I was looking for ways to cut sugar out of my diet, especially at breakfast time. For a while I had been eating plain hard boiled eggs for breakfast, but that got old really fast, and I was back to my sugary cereal before I knew it. Cold hard boiled eggs = boring and dry.
In order to mix it up and get back to my low sugar breakfast routine, I got inspired by some friends I knew who were making meals ahead for the week. Though I don’t love doing this for dinner since each day I vary on what I’m feeling like, I thought it might work for breakfast. Low in sugar and high in protein (both things I need help on), I started back on the egg train. Let’s make them a little more exciting though, shall we?
1. Add cheese.
2. Add hash browns.
3. Hide some greens in there while we’re at it.
By baking the hash browns first and then adding the egg mixture afterwards for a second bake, you get a nice mix of textures in this dish. I added a bit of cheese and olive oil to help the hash browns stick together. The eggs are then scrambled with some fresh spinach and topped with a bit more cheese, because cheese makes everything better. Optionally, you could also add some ham or extra veggies to help to mix it up throughout the week.
These breakfast cups usually take me only 30 minutes to prep on the weekend, and then I microwave two of them for 40 seconds in the morning and am off to work during the week! I’m loving this new recipe and have cut my sugar intake for breakfast to only about 1 gram versus 17 for milk and cereal! These are also great for serving to a large brunch group on a weekend.
Quick Baked Egg and Hash brown Breakfast Cups
1 cup Frozen Hash browns
2/3 cup Shredded Mozzarella, split into 1/3 cups
1 Tbs. Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
12 Large Eggs
1/4 cup Milk
Handful of Spinach, stems removed and sliced in to small pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 425 deg. F. Mix together your hash browns, 1/3 cup of shredded mozzarella, olive oil, and a dash of salt and pepper in a bowl. Place heaping tablespoons of the mixture into a greased 12 cupcake tin and press down each cup to create a hole for the eggs later. Bake for 15 minutes.
2. While the hash browns bake, whisk together your eggs and milk in a bowl to combine with another dash of salt and pepper. Shred up your spinach into small pieces.
3. Remove the hash browns from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 350 deg. F. Pour the egg mixture evenly into the cupcake pan over the hash browns and top each cup with spinach and the remaining shredded mozzarella. Bake the eggs for 12-15 minutes or until the tops appear solidly baked.
4. Eat immediately, or store in a container in the refrigerator for up to a week. To reheat, place 2-3 breakfast cups on a plate and microwave for 40 seconds.
Recipe by Bunny Baubles Blog
Hash brown and cheese mixture goes into the cups and into the oven
Whisked eggs and shredded spinach
Top with extra cheese, just for funsies
Serve ’em up!